- Educational standards that did not match the testing standards which produced tension between teaching to the standards versus teaching to the tests
- Uneven standards across teh country so that the states with low standards, say Alabama and Louisiana, had standards that were grades lower than the other parts of the country
- Switch in language arts from a primary focus on literature to a focus that blends literature with informational text.
- Switch in math from the historical focus on the procedures of calculation to the actual concepts
- Addition of multisector reading skills to language arts
BTW, I love the switch to shades of meaning from synonyms. My personal favorite part of CCSS!